TEST Interview: FairbrotherCo

We hope to introduce you to all the great etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 79th in our series and is with Courtney Fairbrother-Davies of Fairbrother & Co.  

As a child did you play/work with fabrics and textiles? Is this where your passion started?

Growing up, my mother was always sewing something. She sewed many of our clothes, dolls, toys - well, everything! She is very skilled and there is nothing in the sewing/crafting/knitting world that she isn't an expert at. So, as a child, I was always surrounded by fabrics and yarn and every supply you could imagine. She sent me to formal sewing lessons at the age of 8, where I learned to sew and absolutely loved it. I remember sewing from my first "real" Butterick pattern at age 10 when I made a pretty complex outfit for my new baby sister. I think it even had a zipper. So, I guess you could say this is where my passion started, yes!  

Have you always been drawn to Japanese aesthetics and Swedish design - how did this combination come about?

I have always been drawn to simple, clean lines, and a "less is more" aesthetic. I have always loved the simplicity and the delicate nature of Japanese design, whether it's found in fabric or patterns. When sewing for my own children, I also began incorporating the bright, sharp, simple and geometric aesthetic of Swedish design. I love the way colours and patterns are used together and find it particularly appealing for children.  

What is your creative process? How do you finalize a design or colour combination? 

I start with functionality. Whenever I use a product for my own children, I'm constantly thinking about how it can be improved. It's surprisingly difficult to find a baby blanket that is the right weight, feel, and size, and yet is also beautiful. And of course, the quality and appeal of the fabric is equally important. I find it so important to use fabrics from natural fibres, and it has to be soft and feel wonderful next to my babies' skin. The fun part is choosing the gorgeous designs to make up into blankets, and coordinating the thread for the bound edge.  

Are you currently working on any new designs or other products?

I'm always thinking about new designs, and working on new products. I have some lightweight blankets that are ready to add to the shop in time for summer, as well as a crib quilt and baby bath towel. My biggest project of the moment is thinking through fabric design to eventually have my own fabric printed and designed to use for the blankets.  

Do you have any upcoming shows or events this year?

I haven't committed to any shows for this year. I'm thinking about it for the future, though. My Etsy shop is still pretty new, so I would like to focus on it for a little longer before I get ready for a show. I do love the Etsy sections at the Toronto One of a Kind Shows and think it would be a fantastic place to start.

Check out the other items available from Courtney in her FairbrotherCo Etsy Shop!  You can also find her at:
Twitter : @FairbrotherCo
Facebook : fairbrotherandCo
Instagram.com : fairbrotherandco


Interviewed by Jen of JenAllisonPhoto, May 6, 2015 in Toronto.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails