T.E.S.T. Interview: JoiedeVivreTO

We hope to introduce you to all the great etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 98th in our series and is with Rebecca Kinio of JoiedeVivreTO.  


When did you start jewelry making?

I started making jewelry last year (2015) as a hobby and a way to decompress after work. I had a lot of fun doing it, but unfortunately had many events in my family life and personal life at the time that required my attention. I fell out of it, and fell back in love with it earlier this year when things seemed to settle again. I made a few pieces and wore them to my current job. Many of my co-workers complimented me and asked if I would make custom pieces for them. This opened up a whole new door for me, and I am loving every moment of it.  

From your products I see you use a lot of pearls. Is there a particular reason for the choice?

I am glad you asked - there are so many reasons I am completely and utterly obsessed with pearls. Firstly, my mother, who sadly passed away when I was 15, always wore pearls. They remind me so much of her, and I think I am naturally drawn to them in the same way she was. It has a very strong and personal meaning for me. Secondly, pearls are a classic piece that has never gone out of style. Pearls have been worn for centuries, and represent so many different things to so many different cultures and individuals. I think that on it's own is pretty cool! Lastly, pearls take a long time to form - sometimes upwards of 2 years in an oyster. For me, this symbolizes the beauty that can form out of mother nature's patience.  

Are those hand painted cards you include with the jewelry piece paint by you? Are you a painter as well?

I paint all of my cards by myself. The writing is a font I have purchased, however the drawings (diamond rings, balloons, etc.) and watercolour drips are done by myself. I am not a painter per se, but have always had an artsy streak. I went to an arts high school for visual arts for a little while and have continued to draw as a hobby since.  

Where do you get your jewelry design inspiration from?

It's hard to pinpoint where my inspiration comes from. I only make things that I would wear myself, so I think a lot of my pieces come from my own personal style. Often I will be taking the subway, or washing dishes and an idea will come to me. I stop what I'm doing and sketch it out/write it down before I forget. I love simple, clean cut, and elegant pieces. For many of my pieces, I use a 'less is more' logic.

Check out more of Rebecca's things in her Etsy shop, JoiedeVivreTO

You can also find her here:
Instagram is: @joiedevivreto


Rebecca was interviewed by June of Junettie on July 12, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails