T.E.S.T. Interview: Nightly Owl Knit

We hope to introduce you to all the great etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 69th in our series and is with Amy Eaton of NightlyOwlKnit who was interviewed by Desiree of Afrodelik.


What is the story behind your shop name Nightly Owl Knit?

When I finally decided to open a shop the first thing I thought about was a name. A lot of my friends in the city are writers so I decided to ask for help. When one friend sent me a list of five or so I wasn't keen on any of them. It wasn't until she asked me about it in person and said the name Nightly Owl Knit out loud that I realized she was playing with the words nightly I will knit (I thought I was the only one who missed the joke, but turns out my Mom, who works with me on the shop, was also in the dark until our first show when I pointed it out). After that I knew I had it and got started on a header for my shop.  

When did you start knitting? What was the first piece that you created?

I'm not sure exactly when I started knitting, but I think I was about ten. I know it took me a few tries to learn, but my Mom was a patient teacher. My first project was a scarf, funny because now they are my least favourite thing to make!   

Can you tell us more about yourself?

Sure! I love all kinds of crafts and really enjoy going to workshops to learn new techniques (I tried out loom weaving a few weeks ago and had a blast). I like to buy vintage and used items and remake them into new things. Some of my best projects are a 70's prom dress that is now a fun party dress, and a set of granny square pillows that I crocheted out of a deconstructed sweater. During the day I work as a graphic designer at a publishing company downtown. On evenings and weekends I like to play volleyball, floor hockey and go running with a local group (I like to joke that I'm a bit of a jock haha).

The Knit Boot collection is really neat. What inspired you to create that series?

I finally bought a pair of Hunter boots late last winter and was really happy with how dry they kept my feet. I did not however, love how floppy they were around my calf or how chilly my feet got on cold days. After shopping around I figured that I could make my own socks and got my Mom to help. She sews and knits the liners and I work on the cute toppers. This winter has been great with the socks and I'm already brainstorming new patterns for next year.  

What inspires your work?

Most of my projects start off as gifts for other people. I see something online or at a store and want to try making it myself. It was actually a co-worker who pushed me to open my store. I made her a deer head trophy for her birthday and she was adamant that other people would want them and that I had to open an Etsy shop.  
Where do you enjoy most knitting and crocheting?

I most enjoy knitting at home with my Mom (my Dad hangs out with us too too, but he's not much of a knitter). When I'm not visiting my hometown I usually knit and watch TV, I like to think it justifies my binge watching. 




Check out the other items available from Amy in her Etsy shop. You can also follow her on Instagram

Amy was interviewed by Desiree of Afrodelik, December 7, 2014. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails