T.E.S.T. Interview: Ken Roko Art

We hope to introduce you to all the great Etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 42nd in our series with Ken of KRokoArt

Tell us about yourself. How does your animation background influence the art in your shop? Do you still animate? What inspires you?

I graduated from Animation program initially and decided to continue to study 3D Visual Art program. After the graduation, I've been working as a 2D/ 3D artist in entertainment industry. Recently I turned into a full-time freelance artist. I am taking various freelance projects and developing my own art work on the side simultaneously.

I have explored various styles and colors from different generations of artists. Especially I love 19th century American painters such as Thomas Eakins and John Singer Sargent.

I primarily work with digital media through 2D and 3D applications, but don't forget to enjoy developing images through traditional media.

I usually get inspired by small daily objects and reading books. I think books can be very interesting inspirations, sometimes books can make you more imaginative visually.

Tell us about your shop. How did you get into this Etsy business?

Although my artworks had been already published through my publisher internationally, I didn't know about Etsy until late 2010. Actually one of my colleague artists recommended Etsy to me, I was fascinated by the fact that you could reach out to your patrons directly.

A lot of your prints seem to be inspired by nature, and the beauty within our environment. How do you choose your subjects?

It's really somewhat a random process, usually I need to wait for the inspirations to visit me. Once I get that hit, it's just a smooth process from there. Waiting period is sometimes really agonizing.

In your shop, your style is defined, yet each piece is unique and made with extraordinary detail. Do you keep your overall style in mind while creating each piece or does it come naturally?

I'm still exploring to find my voice, so to work with different styles and colors are always fun process to me.

What is your vision for the future of Ken Roko Art?

Keep doing what I'm doing I believe.

Do you also do custom made items?

Yes, I've been working on lots of freelance and commissioned projects.

Check out the other items available from Ken in his Etsy Shop! You can find more of his work on Facebook, Tmblr and Twitter.

Interviewed by Jackie of LivelyLoops in Toronto in January 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails