Vendor call: For What It's Worth
May 9 - June 9, 2013
The Guild Shop
118 Cumberland Street
Apply Today! CLICK HERE
Deadline for Entry: March 15, 2013 at 6:00pm
Jewellery has long been synonymous with wealth and luxury. From the inherent value of the materials to the physical display itself, jewellery communicates these qualities in various ways. Value also comes in the form of sentiment and an emotional connection between the piece and its wearer, sometimes independent of monetary value. As trends in jewellery continue to evolve, as both makers and consumers become more educated in issues such as sustainability and ethics, and as we continue to adjust to a new economic climate, how does jewellery fit in? Is bigger still better, or discretion and ‘stealth’ more appropriate? What motivates the consumer’s choice of what they wear, and why they wear it? Are the properties by which the value of metal and stones are defined still of importance today?
For What It’s Worth will examine what defines jewellery in the 21st century.
This exhibition will run concurrent with the 2013 SNAG Conference “Meta Mosaic” in Toronto.
Conditions of Entry:
• The call is open to all members of the Ontario Crafts Council.
• Wearable jewellery or objects for body adornment in all craft-related media will be accepted for review by the jury.
• Each applicant may submit a maximum of three works. All works submitted must have been completed after January 2012.
• Submissions must include an artist statement describing how the works submitted interpret the exhibition theme.
• Submissions must include digital images of completed works (see the image requirements section
for more information). Renderings, both computer generated and by hand, will not be accepted.
• Submission to the Call for Entry grants The Guild Shop and OCC permission to use images of accepted
works for The Guild Shop and OCC-related promotional purposes including web and print material.
• Late or incomplete entries will not be accepted.
• A total of 25 works will be chosen for the exhibition by the jury.
• Works included in the exhibition must be for sale, and will be sold under The Guild Shop
consignment arrangement of 55% for the artist and 45% for the shop.
• The Exhibitor will be responsible for insuring all work during shipping and delivery.
The Guild Shop will insure all items for theft and damage while on the shop premises.
• Works accepted for exhibition will be delivered/shipped to The Guild Shop at the Exhibitor’s
expense by Monday, April 29, 2013. At the conclusion of the exhibition the Exhibitor must pick
up/ship all unsold work from The Guild Shop by June 14, 2013.
• Application materials will not be returned.
• Deadline: Applications must reach The Guild Shop no later than Friday, March 15, 2013, 6:00 pm.
• Notification of Acceptance: All applicants will be notified of the jury’s decision via email by
Friday, March 22, 2013. Please make sure your email information is correct on the Call for Entry form.
• Delivery: Successful applicants will be required to deliver selected works to The Guild Shop
no later than Monday, April 29, 2013, 6:00 p.m.
• Dates and Opening Reception: The exhibition will take place from Thursday, May 9 to
Sunday, June 9, 2013, with the opening reception on Saturday, May 11, 2013.
Questions? Please contact Monica Hayward, firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-921-1721