T.E.S.T. Interview: POEssentials

We hope to introduce you to all the great etsy sellers to be found right here in Toronto. Here at the T.E.S.T. blog, we plan to interview them all. This is the 85th in our series and is with Tamika from POEssentials


Tell me a bit about yourself. 

My name is Tamika Martells, living in Toronto Canada. I'm the owner of a handcrafted business called Prevailing Organic Essentials, or Poessentials, which is its name on Etsy.  I specialize in organic/vegan and natural beauty products. The business name came to me over 2 years before this business even came into existence and for that I'm humbled.

How long have you been practicing your art/craft?

It started off as a hobby a few years ago due to the fact my kids and myself have sensitive skin.  From there it blossomed into something special for myself and others.


What training have you had -- or are you a self-taught? 

Both. I am not dealing with any harsh chemicals for the skin, so it was very easy to experiment on what works best on myself and my family. I notice the result and continue from there. Attending a few workshop on how to get a better handle on using Essentials Oils did wonders for me.

What is your favorite handmade item you own and why? 

Each year my kids would make these cute little cards/handmade items on Mother's day/special occasions and I will  store them away. At any given time I would  look at how they have evolved over the years as little men in my life. These are my favorite handmade items, these you can't buy in a store.

Do you blog, twitter, facebook or participate in any other social media networking? 

Yes, Facebook and Instagram. I find networking very important for any up and coming business or even businesses that has been around for years. With so many businesses out there Social Media will, and can, allow you to set yourself apart from the competition. By interacting with others on Social Media right there you can have a long lasting friendship and customer at the same time.  Because of modern technology/social media we are able to set our individuality apart which we could never do 15 years ago in business.

How has it helped your business? 

Social media has help my business come into its own. Customers are able to interact with me, make suggestions and be a part of my everyday life and that is because of social media.

Are your products available anywhere besides online?

Yes, I have been participating in craft shows, Bazaars, etc for a few months now and I'll be at St. Leonards Church's "Spring Into Summer" Bazaar on June 20th. They are also in Crafters Plus in Windsor, KaKafafa Ideas (275 Dundas Street West, Toronto) and Expert Nails (1921 Eglinton Ave East).  





Why did you go from hobby to business or was business always your goal?  

I would say hobby to business. Never in a million years was I thinking of being a business owner. In the process I am still learning and experimenting. I hope to continue for as long as I can and, who knows, this could one day be a full time job.


Check out the other items available from Tamika in her Etsy shop. You can also find her at:
Facebook page: Prevailing Organic Essentials
Instagram Page: Poessentials 
Upcoming show: 
St. Leonard’s Church "Spring into Summer Bazaar"
Address: 25 Wanless Avenue, Toronto, ON M4N 1V5
Date: Saturday, June 20, 2015
Time: 10:30 am to 2 pm


Interviewed by Tahani from PurpleLilacAmigurumi, June 8, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails